Prom season is officially upon us.
aaaaaand…. relax! Exams are over. Summer is officially here. Its the end of an enormous chapter which has taken up approximately 11,880 hours of your life since year 1 (for those of us in mainstream schooling). What’s next is sometimes uncertain but always exciting. Whether you’re carrying on your education or diving head first in the the working world, you deserve a Big. Fat. Party. It’s time to celebrate the completion of your compulsory education and welcome in the longest, most well deserved summer you’ll ever have…
Whether you’ve been looking forward to this moment your entire life, or dreading it since kindergarten, here are a few tips to get you through (you can thank us later 😉):
1. You don’t HAVE to have a date. Just because you don’t have a date doesn’t mean you can’t go to prom. Go with friends, we guarantee you’ll have more of a laugh, and hey… you might even meet someone there 😉
2. It’s not the end of the world. Despite how big and important it seems right now, in a few years time it’ll be a fond and distant memory. Enjoy it. Don’t spend the whole time worrying about how you look, or if that girl has noticed you walk in yet, or if that guy will ask you to dance.
3. Walk it off… If the unthinkable does happen and you trip down the stairs, walk it off. Get up, brush off your tux/dress and style it out. P.S don’t forget to laugh 😬.
4. Branch out! Instead of being glued to your BFF all evening, talk to someone else. It’s the end of an era, chat to people about what their plans are. You’re probably gonna see your best mates in two day’s time, but there will be some people you might never see again. #EndOfAnEra
5. Don’t obsess too much over your outfit. Don’t get us wrong, we love to glam up from time to time, but this is a biggie for some people who spend crazy amounts of money, time and effort picking something to wear. Ok, so you want to look good for the photos but in the grand scheme of things, you’ll be wearing it for a few hours and then it’ll go in the back of your wardrobe, never to see the light of day again.
[full-width-figure image=”https://www.ditchthelabel.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/promguys.jpg” alt=”prom need to know”]
6. 👑 Prom Queen/King: Contrary to popular belief, prom queen/king is the least important thing about school. True story.
7. Don’t spike the punch! despite what we see in the movies, its a bad idea. Its best to keep drinking to an absolute minimum, not only will you most definitely fall over, but you risk embarrassing yourself in front of everyone, that’s not how you want to be remembered… right?!
8. Enjoy it! The most important thing to remember is that it is up to you how you enjoy your night, be comfortable in yourself, embrace who you are and dance the night away – congratulations, you did it!
Feeling anxious about your prom plans? Join the community and get chatting with a digital mentor or other members of the Ditch community!
Check out this article on tips to improve your confidence – 10 Things You Need to Know about Confidence