Don’t know how to love yourself more? Have a little read of this.
It seems like everyone is always harping on about self-love. The number of times we have all heard, “you know what you need to do, you need to love yourself more” has got a little too much.
All of us have been prescribed self-love and self-care when we are having a down day and want to give it a go. But what does it really mean and how the hell do we actually do it?!
We’ve already given some amazing tips to self-care which is a good daily practice to go alongside life but let’s talk about self-love and why it is so important for you.
(no not that kind of self-love… although that can definitely be a form of self-care).
What are positive affirmations?
Today we are talking about positive affirmations. To affirm is to say that something is true, self-affirmations are positive statements that you should say or think regularly to yourself.
They have been proven to improve your well-being and we can see why, when you focus on the good, the good gets better.
You can write your daily dose of self-love onto post-its and put them on your mirror, or your fridge, set them as a reminder on your phone or take a few moments to say them when you wake up, just don’t say them to Instagram. remember, they are personal and just for you !
A self-affirmation can just be whatever you need to give yourself that big hug it deserves and empower yourself to achieve your full badass potential and slay the day.
Our top tips for writing your own personalised affirmations:
- Make them short so they’re easier for you to remember.
- Start your affirmations with “I” or “My”
- No negatives! So no saying “I’m not bad at…” Good vibes only remember.
- Write your affirmations in the present tense.
- If you get stuck, start with a negative thought and then flip it right on its head.
I.E. instead of “I’ve put on weight”. A self-affirmation can be “my body is healthy and strong”
You are welcome to use any of the following affirmations or tailor them to suit what you need.
Affirmations for when you need to love yourself
- I am kind.
- I control my emotions; they don’t control me
- I am above negative thoughts and feelings.
- I deserve good things.
- I am doing my best.
- I will be kind to myself.
Affirmations for your body
- I embrace my flaws because I know that nobody is perfect.
- I don’t want to look like anyone but myself.
- I love my body as it is today.
- I am strong and healthy.
- I am whole.
- I am beautiful.
- My body is not defined by its weight.
- I am comfortable in my own skin.
- I am allowed to take up space.
Affirmations for when you mess up
- I am in control.
- I am human.
- I am perfectly imperfect.
- I choose to forgive and let go of anger.
- All of my problems have solutions.
- I have the courage and tenacity to overcome any challenge I encounter.
- The mistakes I made yesterday are creating the person I’ll be tomorrow.
Affirmations for when you feel lonely
- I am surrounded by love…
- I am loved.
- I am a good friend.
- I am a good sister/brother.
- I belong, and I am good enough.
- I only allow myself to be in healthy relationships.
If you are looking for more positive self-affirmations, check out this giant list here.
Self-love is a marathon and not a sprint and it will take time to retrain your brain into love mode. But with a daily practice of giving yourself a pat on the back with these affirmations, you will be well on your way.
If you have an affirmation you would like to share with us or want to get support from one of our mentors – join our support community here.